February 15, 2004

Time Warp

I've got hours worth of music on my playlist, and hop from genre to genre thanks to the beauty of shuffle play. It's normally just background music, a convienent soundtrack to whatever I happen to be doing. I'll still sing along or tap my foot, despite being focused on the task at hand.

But every once in a while a song comes on that makes me stop and really listen. Not because it's something I've never heard, but because it changes my state of mind. Music was a huge influence in my life when I was younger. There are numerous songs with great personal meaning attached, mostly reminders of my angsty teenage years, and when I hear them I can't help but regress.

I remember why that song is important to me; what I was doing, who I was with and how I felt when I heard it. Sometimes it's a pleasant memory, sometimes not. But it is always a reminder of the person I used to be, and then a comparison to the person I am now. It becomes a reflection on my life, basically.

When the song is over, I snap out of my song-induced trip to space, I am left with the realization that I've grown up. It's an odd feeling.

/self-analyzing thoughts

PS: This post was inspired by a similar post made by Kyle today.