May 05, 2004

The doorbell rang yesterday, while Roommate and I were sitting on the couch watching TV. When I answered the door, it turned out to be a young woman selling some kind of discount card. The first words out of her mouth to me were:

"Hi there, are your parents home?"

Umm... s'cuse me? I know I look younger than I am sometimes. I get carded for everything, but I figure that the clerk at 7-11 is just doing his job. They say that they have to card anyone who looks under 30. No biggie. But I know I don't look young enough to still be living at home with my parents.

I stared at the girl for a moment, a puzzled expression on my face. She shifted her weight from foot to foot, nervously. Then I realized that the question that had me so puzzled, was also my 'out'.

"No, they're not home." I replied, smiling.
"Alright then, I'll just come back some other time." She said, apparently relieved I was no longer staring at her like she had two heads.

The salesgirl headed off down the street, and I went back inside the house. Roommate was sitting on the couch, stifling her laughter with the back of her hand.

"Your parents aren't home?" She giggled.
"If it works, it works." I shrugged.