July 23, 2004

Free As A Bird

Jury duty was only 2 days instead of three, and for that I am eternally grateful.

Day 2 was very similar to day 1. I started and finished my book before lunch (Neverwhere was wednesday, Stardust was thursday). Fabulous books by the way, I highly recommend them. After I had nothing to read, I doodled in my coloring book. It was a 'Prisms' book, full of geometric patterns and angles that were complex enough to hold my attention until lunch.

I spent my lunch in the park across the street from the courthouse, munching on a sandwich from Big Town Hero. It was a pleasant day, at least in the shade. I sat and people-watched, which was quite fun due to the enormous variety of people that inhabit my fair city. I was even re-registered to vote by a cute boy with glasses, which was something I have been meaning to do since I moved about 2 years ago.

After lunch it was back to the jury waiting room. I had found a seat and started reading one of the random magazines left lying about, when the guy in charge asked for eveyone's attention at the front of the room. As it would turn out, there would be no more jury requests for the rest of the day and we were free to go home, our civic duty fufilled.

I wandered about downtown for a while, but finally resigned myself to the bus ride home when the temperature hit 98 degrees. It was just too hot to walk around in black pants and a white button-down shirt with long sleeves. After the air-conditioned bus ride home, I changed into shorts and a t-shirt and promptly feel asleep.

And that, my dear ladies and gentlemen, is my jury duty tale.