July 18, 2004

Ugh.

It's another one of those days.
 
I am currently unemployed, and have been for longer than I care to admit. I've been able to sustain myself without a job for quite some time, thanks to my meticulous money management and an unexpected financial windfall. However, it's become clear that I can't continue on much longer, without some source of income.
 
So, for the past few weeks I have been out hunting around for work. Picking up applications, filling them out and dropping them off with the hopes that I will get a call. So far, I haven't gotten anything. I've increased my efforts, I have 4 applications sitting on my desk right now, but I'm still quite dismayed at the current job market. Every place I call doesn't seem to be hiring, at least not anytime soon. I'm tired of hearing "But we're always accepting applications!"
 
Today I went out to pick up a few more applications, and on my way home I became completely overwhelmed with a sense of hopelessness. I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. It wouldn't matter how many places I applied to, because no one was going to call me back. I nearly started crying, at that point.
 
But after a few deep breaths, the rational side of my brain regained control and I knew I just had to keep trying. So, I popped Dashboard Confessional into my stereo, skipped forward to my favorite song (track 11, if you must know), and sang until I was smiling again.
 
I'm still feeling a little discouraged, but eventually things will get better. They always do, right?