October 08, 2004

Untitled.

Alright, let's see if I can get through this without starting to cry again.

For those of you who didn't know, (which was probably all of you), I have a pet Bunny. Well, I had a pet Bunny.

Yesterday just shortly after 11am, my precious Bunny was gently put to sleep. Nine years is a long time for a rabbit to live, even the vet said he'd never seen a rabbit so old. With his age came arthritis, which made it difficult for him to move. His hind legs had grown weak, and he wasn't able to hop the way a rabbit should. He had also become thin and frail, and despite his normal appetite he was never able to regain any weight. He would not have not survived another winter.

He was the oldest pet I have ever had. I can still remember the day we brought him home, his little dalmatian head poking over the top of a cardboard box. He was beautiful, soft and full of personality. We bought him from a breeder, for a mere $10. That was the best $10 I have ever spent.

Making the decision to have him euthanized was one of the most difficult I have ever had to make. But I realized that the most selfish thing I could do was try to avoid my own heartache. He no longer had the quality of life that he deserved, and I had to accept that. So, I made the choice and then made the appointment.

At least this way, I got to say goodbye. I got to make his last day as nice and comfortable as I possibly could. He ate nothing but apples yesterday, because they were his favorite treat. I cuddled him in my lap for over an hour, gently rubbing the bridge of his nose and the space between his eyes (his favorite place to be scratched). I got to tell him how much I loved him, how good of a pet he had been to me, and how much I was going to miss him.

We buried him in the backyard, a circle of stones and a small cross mark his resting place. A bouquet of flowers was placed on top, as I said a silent prayer to myself. I love him and miss him terribly, but I know that he is in a better place now. He is happy and at peace. I couldn't ask for more than that. Rest well, my friend.

Now I need to go find myself some kleenex.