November 30, 2004

Just A Girl

I've never been good at being a girl. Wait, let me re-phrase that...I've never been good at being girly.

Makeup was a foreign concept to me, until I was about 18. To this day I wear only mascara, a bit of powder, and my Dr. Pepper Lipsmackers. (Cute and glossy, with just a hint of the right color.) I have been known to try my hand at eyeliner when I'm going out, but that's a rarity. Concealer? Foundation? Lip liner? That's a bit complex for my tastes. I've never had anyone teach my how to do it either, I just kind of wing it until it looks good.

My hair care routine consists of shampoo, condition, blow-dry, and a little gel to tame the flyaways. No hot rollers, no flat-irons, no expensive tonics or potions. I have healthy, shiny hair that smells good, so why change anything?

It used to take a formal occasion to get me into a skirt, like a wedding or school dance. I've branched out a bit since then, and have a variety of skirts hanging in my closet. I even wear them, once in a while.

I own 2 pairs of high heels, and a pair of fake-suede just-below-the-knee boots. (Boyfriend has another name for those boots, but we won't get into that.) All 3 pairs are black, and all 3 make my feet hurt like hell after about an hour. I don't get how some women can wear heels more than regular shoes, and not walk with a permanent limp. Is there some high-heel secret that I am not privy to?

I guess what it all comes down to is the fact that I'm a pretty simple girl. And you know what? I'm okay with that.